Is it Time for a Tooth Extraction?
Unfortunately, several different factors can affect the lifespan of our durable teeth, despite our best efforts, tooth extractions are often necessary. Our dental team at Exceptional Dentistry provides experienced tooth extraction procedures that help to protect patient’s smiles. Continue reading to learn when tooth extractions are necessary.
- Wisdom teeth. One of the most common reasons to extract a tooth is when it comes to wisdom teeth. Not everyone needs to remove their wisdom teeth, but it is necessary when space is limited for the new tooth. If it grows in limited space, then it can begin to cause the other teeth to shift.
- Severe decay. Our dentists can save most teeth with the use of treatments such as root canals. However, if a tooth is decayed beyond repair, then it needs to be removed. This is in order to prevent the spread of infection.
- Periodontal disease. Gum disease can lead to gum recession and cause the bone to break down. This, in turn, causes the tooth to become loose. At this point, there is nothing to reverse the effects and extraction is necessary.
Benefits of Extractions
- Stops disease. Removing the source of the infection will prevent the disease from spreading to other teeth and ultimately to the rest of the individual’s body.
- Lessens pain. Our patients always express their pain is immediately gone after an extraction.
- Reverses the damage. After a tooth is extracted, there are several options restoring the missing tooth. Your dentist will help figure out which option is best for your smile whether it be with the help of dental implants or bridges.
Contact Exceptional Dentistry today to schedule your next consultation and see how our dental team can help protect and restore your smile!