What Are the Stages of Invisalign®? Can You Eat with Invisalign?
What Is Invisalign?
It is an innovative brand of teeth aligners in orthodontic dentistry for straightening malpositioned teeth. They feature a transparent material that makes them virtually invisible to people when you smile. This feature makes them a perfect alternative to traditional metal braces that are very conspicuous.
Besides the aesthetic component, Invisalign®️ braces are the more comfortable for straightening teeth since they do not have any sharp edges. Technically, they are painless orthodontics because they do not exert as much pressure on teeth as metal brackets when the wires are adjusted.
The Different Stages of the Invisalign Treatment Process
When you are preparing for your Invisalign treatment in Dixon, you should anticipate several stages of your procedure. Although the process is not as complex as getting traditional metal braces, there is still a process to follow. The different stages of the treatment process are:
- The first appointment – your first dental visit will entail a comprehensive dental exam. An Invisalign dentist will physically examine your oral cavity and ask you relevant questions to identify your dental expectation. Use the first appointment as your chance to state all your cosmetic expectations during and after your dental treatment. During this appointment, the dentist will also weigh the severity of your orthodontic problem, determining whether invisible aligners would be a suitable option for your treatment.
- Digital molding – if you have more time to spare during your first dental visit, this stage of the process can happen. If not, you need to schedule a separate visit. Digital molding concerns taking photographs, digital scans, and x-rays to create an accurate model of your mouth. The orthodontist needs the model to create a perfectly fitting teeth aligner for straightening your smile. Using digital molding, the dentist will develop a treatment plan for you. The treatment plan will point out the direction of movement of your teeth while making projections on how long it may take to achieve the desired results.
- Creation of aligners – dentists take their time customizing teeth aligners for your smile. You will not be present for the creation process. It may take a few days to complete. The period between your first dental appointment to wearing your teeth aligners for the first time may be between 2 and 4 weeks.
- Fitting the first tray of invisible aligners – is a simple and painless step of wearing your clear aligners for the first time. The orthodontist may employ small attachments on your teeth to the aligners to stay in place when you wear them. If your aligners fit perfectly, they will give you several aftercare instructions on using your aligners at home.
- Follow-up appointments – the first tray of aligners is not all you need to complete your treatment. It takes a series of invisible aligners to straighten teeth, usually between 30 and 32. Therefore, you must keep up with your appearances at Exceptional Dentistry to get new trays every six weeks. Besides, the Invisalign dentist near you needs to observe the progress of your treatment, monitoring the direction of teeth’ movements.
- Straight teeth – if you have been consistent and diligent in wearing your aligners for at least 20 hours daily, you will notice incredible changes in your smile soon. Your treatment may be quicker if you are disciplined to follow your dentist’s guidelines than not. Besides that, teenagers have a quicker process because their mouths and bodies are still developing. For adults, orthodontists prescribe a longer-term retainer that holds teeth in place after the treatment. The retainers will prevent your teeth from shifting back to their initial position.
Is It Possible to Eat with Invisalign?
Although you can eat with Invisalign braces, you should not. The teeth aligners feature a plastic material instead of metal brackets and wires. It means that the sturdiness of your invisible braces is relative to how well you care for them.
Chewing or biting with your Invisalign exposes them to potential breakage and damage. It is the reason these clear aligners are removable. You can remove them every time you want to eat something.
Besides, eating with your invisible aligners can stain them, making them conspicuous when you smile, undermining their aesthetic advantage.